***The deadline has been extended to 15 January 2017. Submit your manuscript by 11:59:59 on 15 January 2017 for your chance to be the Kingdom of Ironfest Author in Residence and have personal editorial advice from The Manuscript Agency and have your manuscript reviewed by The Author People for publication. ***
Ironfest Inc has joined with The Author People, The Manuscript Agency and A Reader’s Heaven to find the next great Australian author. We’re looking for authors who not only love to write great stories, but want their stories to be read around the world. Fame is no longer a bad word.
Win VIP tickets to Ironfest, receive professional feedback on their manuscript from The Manuscript Agency and be given a chance to have their manuscript published by The Author People (as well as receive professional publishing advice), an innovative new global publisher.
If you think you have what it takes to be the next great Australian author, and would like to be able to introduce yourself as the Kingdom of Ironfest Author in Residence, then follow the below steps to submit your manuscript for consideration.
All entrants will be eligible for a 10% discount on any service with The Manuscript Agency by using the promo code IronFest2017 when submitting your manuscript via http://www.manuscriptagency.com.au.
How to Submit
To be eligible to be the first Kingdom of Ironfest Author in Residence, attach the first 5,000 words of your manuscript in an Rich Text Format [rtf.] document along with the questionnaire as email attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org by 15 January 2017. In the subject line write: [your name] wants to be the IronFest Author in Residence 2016. First ensure that Ironfest Inc. has received your application fee along with your name (see #3 below).
In the body of the email please include:
Your legal name
You pseudonym (if any)
The title of your manuscript
Your email address
A panel of judges from A Reader’s Heaven bookstore in Lithgow (NSW) will read all applications and make a shortlist of five manuscripts. The Author People will make the final selection and pick a winner from this shortlist.
The winner will be awarded the title of The Kingdom of Ironfest Author in Residence and will receive VIP passes to Ironfest 2017. The Winner will receive a detailed manuscript appraisal from The Manuscript Agency. When the writer has further refined their work, they will receive an hour-long mentoring session with The Author People, at which point The Author People will determine whether they will publish the manuscript. The Author People will then have first option to continue the path to publication on the selected work. If The Author People decide they will not proceed, the mentoring will include advice on how the author may go about publishing and the author is free to submit the work somewhere else or self publish. Regardless of who publishes it, A Reader’s Heaven will offer to host a book launch for the work if practical when it’s successfully published. The author will be invited to Ironfest 2018 to pass their crown onto the next Kingdom of Ironfest Author in Residence. If dates align, their published work will be promoted at that time also.
Who should apply?
If you’re developing a new work of fiction, narrative non-fiction or writing for young adults, apply to become The Kingdom of Ironfest Author in Residence.
Your manuscript should be well into development and your application should clearly show confidence in your direction and voice.
All writers 18 or older are welcome to submit regardless of experience, providing they are Australian citizens or permanent residents. Only writers contracted to a publisher for the submitted work are excluded from applying.
We are not interested in guidebooks, handbooks, textbooks, cookbooks, poetry collections, junior fiction, or scripts.
Applications are open from 01 September 2016 and has been extended to 11:59:59 on 15 January 2017.
Shortlisted applicants will be announced on the A Reader’s Heaven’s website on 01 February 2017.
The winner will be informed by email 01 April 2017 and announced at Ironfest weekend.
Costs to Applicant
$60 per application
There is no travel fund available, winner is responsible to make their own travel arrangements to Ironfest (Lithgow, NSW).
Terms and Conditions
- The promoters are: Iron Fest Inc, The Author People, The Manuscript Agency and A Reader’s Heaven.
- Employees of Iron Fest Inc, The Author People, The Manuscript Agency, and A Reader’s Heaven or their family members shall not be permitted to enter the competition.
- Entry fee is $60 and must be received via Ironfest Inc. Bank Account
Include the name on the application in the details of the payment which must be received prior to the acceptance of their entry.
- Entries Open September 1, 2016. Submit 5,000 words or your manuscript along with a cover letter and completed questionnaire to: email@example.com Submissions must be in a rtf. document
- Closing date for entry has been extended to 15 January 2017. After this date no further entries to the competition will be permitted.
- No responsibility can be accepted for entries not received for whatever reason.
- Finalists will be notified on February 1, 2017.
- The winner will receive VIP tickets to Iron Fest 2017, a manuscript appraisal (up to 120,000 words) with The Manuscript Agency, an hour-long publishing consultation with The Author People as well as potential publication and the pride to call themselves The Kingdom of Ironfest Author in Residence 2017.
- The promoter(s) reserves the right to cancel or amend the competition and these terms and conditions without notice in the event of a catastrophe, war, civil or military disturbance, act of God or any actual or anticipated breach of any applicable law or regulation or any other event outside of the promoter’s control. Any changes to the competition will be notified to entrants as soon as possible by the promoter.
- The promoter is not responsible for inaccurate prize details supplied to any entrant by any third party connected with this competition.
- No cash alternative to the prizes will be offered. The prizes are not transferable. Prizes are subject to availability and we reserve the right to substitute any prize with another of equivalent value without giving notice.
- A panel of judges appointed by the promoters will choose finalists.
- The promoters’ decision in respect of all matters to do with the competition will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- By entering this competition, an entrant is indicating his/her agreement to be bound by these terms and conditions.
- The manuscript remains the property of the entrant.
- The option to publish remains at the sole discretion of The Author People, and winning the title of The Kingdom of Ironfest Author in Residence by no means guarantees publication.
- The competition and these terms and conditions will be governed by Australian law and any disputes will be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of Australia.
- The entrants agree to the use of his/her name and image in any publicity material. Any personal data relating to the winner or any other entrants will be used solely in accordance with current Australian data protection legislation and will not be disclosed to a third party without the entrant’s prior consent.
- The finalists will be notified by email on January 31, 2017, their names will be posted at A Reader’s Heaven’s website on February 1, 2017.
- Entry into the competition will be deemed as acceptance of these terms and conditions.
- This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook, Twitter or any other Social Network. You are providing your information to the promoters and not to any other party.
Image by Karen Arnold